Sunday, October 20, 2013

I cannot see properly.

I am having difficulty with my sight. I really cannot see well at all. I cannot see well enough to sew. After a doctor appt i will return.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reshape A Neckline.... Decisions, decisions

In my last post I am sure you notice the pattern I used and the dress I made the neckline was different. If I did not mention this I am sorry. In the November issue of Threads magazine there is an article on Reshape a Neckline and I decide to do this on three dresses using the same pattern. Last night as I reread the article I can tell there is something I just fortunate turn out well for me. I did not make a sloper of the new neckline so that I could use it again. As you can see the Simplicity pattern has a jewel neckline, on my first dress I made a V neckline. So I will have to make a sloper of the new neckline out of some muslin fabric that I have. The article pointed out when changing the width of the neckline you should account for the bra strap positioning to prevent the straps from interfering with a neckline. Put on the bra you plan to wear with the garment, drape the pattern on your body and mark the bra straps’ position on the pattern’s shoulder line. Oops did not do that but I am happy to say the bra strap did not interfere with the V neckline of the dress at all. I am very happy about that! Every one know how frustrating it can be readjusting a bra strap because it wants everyone to see how pretty it is. Grief! I really must not forget that on the next dress because it is going to be a square neck line. The last time I did a square neckline I had to wear a strapless bra which does not give the correct support for me. I think I found the fabric I want to use but I want to cut it on the bias and if I do I will not have enough fabric at all. So I am still deciding what to do. By this time I should have been finishing the dress. This one I will wear on October 21st which is my mom and dad anniversary. Since they are both no longer here with us I will be getting together with my sisters for a sisters day. So I have gifts to create a memoriam to our parents for each of us. I am still deciding what it will be, maybe a art journal page and I searching for the right pictures. So right now I am deciding on what material to use for my dress, creating slopers for the changes in neckline, finishing sleep caps, gathering materials for a art journal page to give as a gift to my sisters. When I post on Saturday I hope to have something to show you all.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Simplicity 7117



This is the pattern that I used to make my dress. 





I am not a very good model at this time in my life.  

As you can see  I changed the neckline and made it a maxi dress.  Also I added width to the sides I wanted fullness at the bottom.

need to restitch the flowers some of them fell off! I did get some compliments which felt good. Therefore I decided to stick with this pattern for the other dresses 

I have 2 more dresses to make using this pattern ,not more Maxi's soon it will the weather will turn wet and sloppy.  Which I truly love!  Strange love I know. 
Monday I have to concentrate on finishing the sleep caps that are currently listed as UFO status. 







I should have finished them on Friday  however  we went to first friday's and the relaxation was much needed. 












Sunday, October 6, 2013

My attempt to copy a designer dress

 I decided that I wanted to duplicate this dress by Bily Reid fall 2013 collection.



There was a favorite dress I had, at least 30 years ago, it was a blue paid and when

I saw this Bily Reid dress  I remembered how it felt to wear that dress and I wanted to feel that again. I

search and search but could not find a picture of the dress without the coat.

So I drew my version of the dress.   I have to apoligize for all the links for so reasons I cant get the pictures to  post.

I do not know why I wanted to have the touch of red with the grey plaid but it is what I

felt at the time that I drew the picture.

I search my stash of fabric because I am not allow to purchase more until I use what I

have (silly self-impose rule). But I found the right fabric and the right lining for it. I

really did jump up and down with excitement. My pattern was extremely simple I add a

wedge of fabric at the sides with increased the volume of the dress.  This will give the effect I want as i walk.

 Hopefully Todd will feel like a photographer and take more than one picture so you can see how it moves.



When I went to put in the invisible zipper my invisible zipper foot was invisible I took 2

hours looking forward and finally said forget it and decided to hand sew it in.

Then when I was putting the front and back together I notice the little holes! I tested the

fabric, it was not rotten and I knew this just from the feel of it. I really almost hit the

floor at the implication that I could have moths in my fabric stash.

Most of my original stash I did in fact use and I had acquire more fabric from my sister

needless to say slowly I was going through it and putting it into the different plastic bin

I have stacked up against the wall. I thought I carefully inspected it and them secured it

safely away.

I attempted to reweave the holes to mend them.



I outlined them i chalk so they would show up i the picture.  they are smaller than the hook that you would put at the top of a zipper. 

This was unsuccessful i had not done this type of mending in a long time.


I stopped sewing for the day and there was a time when this would have hit the UFO pile.

The next day I though cover the hole with Application of flowers.






Like it or not I will be wearing this dress on Sunday. I plan to make another menswear

look using this fabric…. Goal 3 fall/winter dresses…. 2 more to go.