Sunday, October 6, 2013

My attempt to copy a designer dress

 I decided that I wanted to duplicate this dress by Bily Reid fall 2013 collection.



There was a favorite dress I had, at least 30 years ago, it was a blue paid and when

I saw this Bily Reid dress  I remembered how it felt to wear that dress and I wanted to feel that again. I

search and search but could not find a picture of the dress without the coat.

So I drew my version of the dress.   I have to apoligize for all the links for so reasons I cant get the pictures to  post.

I do not know why I wanted to have the touch of red with the grey plaid but it is what I

felt at the time that I drew the picture.

I search my stash of fabric because I am not allow to purchase more until I use what I

have (silly self-impose rule). But I found the right fabric and the right lining for it. I

really did jump up and down with excitement. My pattern was extremely simple I add a

wedge of fabric at the sides with increased the volume of the dress.  This will give the effect I want as i walk.

 Hopefully Todd will feel like a photographer and take more than one picture so you can see how it moves.



When I went to put in the invisible zipper my invisible zipper foot was invisible I took 2

hours looking forward and finally said forget it and decided to hand sew it in.

Then when I was putting the front and back together I notice the little holes! I tested the

fabric, it was not rotten and I knew this just from the feel of it. I really almost hit the

floor at the implication that I could have moths in my fabric stash.

Most of my original stash I did in fact use and I had acquire more fabric from my sister

needless to say slowly I was going through it and putting it into the different plastic bin

I have stacked up against the wall. I thought I carefully inspected it and them secured it

safely away.

I attempted to reweave the holes to mend them.



I outlined them i chalk so they would show up i the picture.  they are smaller than the hook that you would put at the top of a zipper. 

This was unsuccessful i had not done this type of mending in a long time.


I stopped sewing for the day and there was a time when this would have hit the UFO pile.

The next day I though cover the hole with Application of flowers.






Like it or not I will be wearing this dress on Sunday. I plan to make another menswear

look using this fabric…. Goal 3 fall/winter dresses…. 2 more to go.

No comments: