Skip to main content


The deconstruction is over.
AUGUST 1, 2009
The fitting went well. I really feel bad having to make people stand still for an hour but that is about how long it took. I pinned the pieces in place and she said it felt comfortable and there was enough room to grow into. I searched for my footstool. It is so much easier the pin the hemline while it is hanging off the floor. My footstool was gone and I know which sister took it. (She claims she is not short so I can imagine why she would take my footstool but I know she has it!) So I had to it pin the hemline off the floor. I am always never quite sure when I do it like this.

After she was gone I put the dress on the dress form and put running stitching in it fabric by hand this will mark the seam allowances. Once that was done I pinned notes the left side and noted the front and back sides and did the same on the opposite side. Now I was able to unpin the pieces and know that I would be able to sew them in place with no major problems.

AUGUST 3, 2009
The fabric that I am using for the lining is not the same color of the dress. It’s black! This is the best choice it will not show through the fabric. I would have loved to have had the same color of the dress but I could not find a match at the fabric store. Any additional shawls of the same color were out of state. So I used what I had and that was black.

The black was a silk that I had used in lining before. It feels really great against the skin. I had enough of the black fabric for both sides of the dress. What I had to do for one side to be the correct shape to fit the dress correctly was to take pieces and sew them together. I took the opportunity to get rid of some of the bobbins that had small amounts of black thread remaining on them. 4 bobbins later I had the finish piecing the lining together and now it was time to add it to the dress. I put the lining in place and that was enough for that day.

AUGUST 6, 2009
The left side of the fabric was put in to place. This took two hours. Not sure why but it is in place. Enough for that day.

AUGUST 8, 2009
Sat looking at the dress trying to figure out why it took two hours to put the left side in. I am really trying to avoid that if I can. One hour passed and I have decided that I will do it tomorrow. Right now I will look for a pattern for a dress for me and lay it out so that when I am finish putting the right side in tomorrow I can start sewing on a dress for myself.


Popular posts from this blog

I need Therapy

It's important to take time for yourself and I am one for telling others to do that for themselves but often i do not do this for myself.   I find that I am surrounded by people who need me to do things for them.  Nothing major things that they can do themselves but it is easier to get someone else to do it and i am that someone else.  Gail do this, gail do that.  Good grief!
There are times when I feel like I am just living my life.   Just making it  day after day, one day blends into the next one.  Don't really see accomplishments, advancements, forward movements. As a result i an feel a bit lost and out of sorts.  I feel the need for therapy. I have a bujo and in it i have schedule and routine for everyone and thing with the exception of me.  I discovered this when i took a moment to review the schedules and routines to figure out  why i was not getting any sewing projects completed, no practice time for watercolors and the crocheting and needlework was sitting in a  corner.…

Life in a Scheduling Room

It has been some time since I felt it necessary to say anything about my job.  However this is something that i need to address at this time.  My work associates range in ages and this diversity helps our department funtion in an ackward yet somewhat effective way.  One coworker who is very verbal about everything that goes wrong.  You know when she is not well because she is quiet and there are times when she is very focus on what she is doing and if that concentration is broken so is her silence.  For the most part this does not bother me except when she takes me out of my zone and then my work rhythm is interrupted.   I am sure i am guilty of doing the same to her i think everyone does.  Then there is next coworker a beautiful young lady that gives the impression of being younger than she actually is and so I have a tendency to feel like  need  to protect her.  That is something I had to stop doing it was not needed and i hope I did not offend her.  Her method working is not as pr…

Beyond Mesaure

My mother taught me to sew my clothes because I was bigger then the average girl.  Please note the word I used was bigger not taller.  This is what I heard from family and friends " wow you are getting big"  At the age of 11 or 12  big means fat not tall.  
When looking at picture of myself at that young age when I was getting bigger it turns out I was quite slim. My Uncle called my lean bean, because I was long and lankey. He was the only one who go the measurment correct and described me in a way that I preferred to big. 
Before going into High School I stood 5 feet 8 inches tall and when I graduated high schooL I grew another .75 inches taller.  I tell people I am 5 foot 9 inches tall.  I love being tall  I am not a fan of being big. 
My sister stands 5 foot4 inches tall and she remembers as she was growing being told she was big.  I guess my family does not use pharses like " my how you have grown" and instead use phrases such as  "Wow you are getting big!…