Skip to main content

HOW I GOT STARTED SEWING

I have been sewing clothes for 30 years or so. My mother was not a great seamstress but she is the one who taught me to sew. I should say she is the one who sparked my interest in sewing. My interest grew in to a love, an almost obsessive love or sewing, designing clothes, fabrics and the search for something entirely new and fab.

I remember sewing with my mother; she did not complete high school so sometimes she had some difficulty in reading with comprehension. As I reflect on this she may have had this comprehension problem on purpose to help me learn to work it through.

We would take the time to read the instructions on the guide sheet and follow all the directions carefully but at some point in the construction of the garment she would suddenly not understand how the complete something. I felt good and being able to teach her something.

She had fantastic ideas about how to deal with the most complex things in life. Eventually I was completely on my own sewing my own clothing and making changes to the patterns to make the clothing uniquely mine. I use to have note books of all the drawing of designs unfortunately they were thrown away along with a large stash of comic books. My same wonderful mother had an evil streak called cleaning up. These things were stacked neatly in an Avon box. This box sat next to the head of my bed and sometime I would read the comic books before going to sleep or draw a new picture of whatever entered my head. Sometime I would draw clothing, sometimes flowers just whatever entered my head. She decided this box that was not torn or tattered in the least was cluttering up the place and needed to be thrown away.

I was mad at her for at least a month when I realized they were gone. Came home from school late because I was hanging out with my art teacher Mr. Moore, I love all the art supplies he had and I could draw whatever while he work on stuff at his desk. I came home dinner was on the table. I went upstairs to my room to put my new drawings in the box and the box was gone! The rest is a blur. The end result was I did not get to eat dinner that day and was stuck in the house for the rest of the weekend.

What was I talking about again? Yes my love for sewing. There was one point in my life when everything I wore was hand made by me for me. Then I started sewing for other people. Which is exciting and a pain, because people always wanted to change things right when the garment was complete. Or they did not listen when told not the change their weight. They would gain weight “it does not fit you don’t know what you are doing! “ They would lose weight “it’s to big didn’t you measure me right!” So after a while I decided it was not worth it. So I just sewed for family or my self.

Since most pictures and drawing were lost in a fire that happened 5 years ago. I am in the process of getting pictures of the clothing that I have created for my sisters. I am going to create a new scrapbook.

Now my niece is drawing clothing and bringing her designs to me for me to create for her to wear. She is nine years old and she is creating clothing for young adults. Of course I have to edit them to make them fit her age. But she is excited where ever she comes over for a fitting. Her sister is also interested but she copies everything her big sister does and so time will tell who get tired of this first.

I will be getting a camera so I can post the pictures of her drawings and the completed garments. I hope to encourage these little designers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My discovery!

As a little girl I did not play with dolls, did not play house. I climbed trees and explored how things worked. Tried to make my bike do things it was not meant to do. My mother complain when I was a toddler she would dress me in frilly dresses to play and I would prompty find mud or dirt. My mother and father had a loving relationship but I really did not see my father much. He worked the night shift. I had a close relationship with my mother. She taught me to crochet and make clothes. She kept a beautiful home and was a great cook. I felt that my father did not appreciate her enough so I decided that I would not get married and deal with someone who did not appreciate me. When my mother died it totally crippled my father. I realized just how much he appreciated her. When she first died he would just sit in a chair and just stare for hours. Finally I started talking to him and he revealed just how much he needed her. Then I decided that I should not get married because I wou

Estate Sales -Diary

Sydney Estate Sales has been had estate sales for the past 22 years in western PA. This was my first time going to an estate sale done by her. I will be keeping an eye on her website from this point on. There was a beautiful hallway mirror that I just loved. Some of the scroll work around the mirror was broken and it was extremely heavy but I just loved it. $10.00 I did not have my car and it was too heavy. So I did not get it. Lots of items that could be used in a tea party. I did get some Japanese china snack sets. Hand painted. There was also a mirror bar. At least I think it was a bar. The front door were touch release and inside were 2 glass shelves. not a single mirror broken or scratch or chipped. $25.00. Once again I could not carry it home other wise I know that would have been mine. So I am hoping that both of those items will still be available when she does her super sale on Jan 3. I will save my shopping money so I can get them or something better if possible. My sister t

WHY DID I DO THAT?

We were awakened at 6:40 with the ringing of the telephone. Usually when the phone rings my Hubby turns to me and says " Are you expecting a call?" This time he just got up and answered the phone. His daughter was calling to tell him that her grandfather was vomiting blood. We immediately got up and dress and was at the house before the ambulance was there. I just stood back and stayed out of the way. But that did not last long because Hubby did not know what to do. His father started with the " I don't want to bother anybody?" crap that he says when he thinks he is about to die. I just asked some questions. When did you start vomiting blood? 4:30 How many times did you vomit? Once maybe twice Where were you when you vomited? In the bathroom it's in the garbage can you can look at it. I went back into the living room and waited by the door for the ambulance to arrive. I told Todd tell the ME exactly what he said about vomiting. ME arrived and went to work. H