Skip to main content

Aunt Honey

Please understand that all I am explaining here starts when I was age 10 to the age I am today 45.

My dear Aunt Honey has been in a nursing home for 6 to 7 years. When she was first admitted to a nursing home I went each week faithfully. We would talk to each other and I would read to her we would watch TV together. We interacted with each other well. She knew who I was and I enjoyed visiting her. Slowly as the years went by she began to show less and less interest in what was going on around her. Soon I would visit her and read to her just hoping for some acknowledgement that she knew I was visiting her.

Sometime I would talk to her about when I was a little girl (age 10) and she would come from her Adult program and baby sit with me and my sister. At first we thought we could get away with anything we wanted because she was a “little slow” mentally. We found out that we could not get away with anything. The first 2 days she was there she told dad every little thing we did. So we no longer tried.

We knew which bus she would be on so we would wait by the picture window because we could not go outside to play until she came over. When we would see her we would meet her on the porch steps and help her into the house. She would make us sandwiches and then we could play. She would sit on the porch and watch us as we played in front of the house we could not go out of her line of sight. On rainy days we would watch movies or play records and she would dance with us. Then one day we waited for her but she did not come. When mom and dad got home from work they asked us where she was we said she did not come today. It was a while before she would come again and this time when she did come she came by yellow taxi. We would wait for the taxi to come and then the fun would begin. Then one day the taxi did not come. And that was the end of Aunt Honey coming to care for us after school.

We would visit over Aunt Henrine and Aunt Honey’s house and stay for the weekend. We could have anything we wanted. Aunt Honey has a notebook that she would write numbers in and she always cut out coupons of items she wanted from the store. She knew which day her check would come and always wanted a new suit for church. She would watch the Carol Burnett show with us and we all laughed. After a while she stopped talking to us so much and then stopped laughing with us. Then stopped caring about anything and would lay in bed all day. She started having strokes and even with physical therapy she never could walk after a while. Then she was admitted to an Nursing home. At first our hope was she would be coming home some day soon. Then the reality came she would never come home again. Aunt Henrine visited her sister daily for all the 6 to 7 years she lived in nursing homes. If she would miss a day one of us, her nieces, would be there to stand in for her.

I stopped visiting my Aunt Honey when they put her on a feeding tube and she stopped responding to me. She looked like she was dead. She acted like she was dead. She has been clinically dead for at least a year. Today my Aunt Henrine came to realize the same thing and wants me to tell her what she should do. 4 months ago I was brave enough to tell her that the feeding tube needed to be stopped but she did not hear what I was saying. 6 Days ago the Dr told her that her sister was clinically dead and some decision needed to be made. She has called the Deacons of her church and they came and prayed over Aunt Minnie. But the feeding tube is still attached. Aunt Henrine wants me to tell her what she should do.

I had mourned the death of Aunt Minnie a year ago. And now I feel like I have to do the same again. How can I be of help to her?

Comments

Familyofthree said…
Recount your story to her...perhaps she needs to see it through the eyes of another. A wise woman once said that their daddy said "If you're going to walk in the shoes of another you need to be them" Or something like that...but perhaps you both need too make an even exchange for awhile...

Popular posts from this blog

My discovery!

As a little girl I did not play with dolls, did not play house. I climbed trees and explored how things worked. Tried to make my bike do things it was not meant to do. My mother complain when I was a toddler she would dress me in frilly dresses to play and I would prompty find mud or dirt. My mother and father had a loving relationship but I really did not see my father much. He worked the night shift. I had a close relationship with my mother. She taught me to crochet and make clothes. She kept a beautiful home and was a great cook. I felt that my father did not appreciate her enough so I decided that I would not get married and deal with someone who did not appreciate me. When my mother died it totally crippled my father. I realized just how much he appreciated her. When she first died he would just sit in a chair and just stare for hours. Finally I started talking to him and he revealed just how much he needed her. Then I decided that I should not get married because I wou

Estate Sales -Diary

Sydney Estate Sales has been had estate sales for the past 22 years in western PA. This was my first time going to an estate sale done by her. I will be keeping an eye on her website from this point on. There was a beautiful hallway mirror that I just loved. Some of the scroll work around the mirror was broken and it was extremely heavy but I just loved it. $10.00 I did not have my car and it was too heavy. So I did not get it. Lots of items that could be used in a tea party. I did get some Japanese china snack sets. Hand painted. There was also a mirror bar. At least I think it was a bar. The front door were touch release and inside were 2 glass shelves. not a single mirror broken or scratch or chipped. $25.00. Once again I could not carry it home other wise I know that would have been mine. So I am hoping that both of those items will still be available when she does her super sale on Jan 3. I will save my shopping money so I can get them or something better if possible. My sister t

WHY DID I DO THAT?

We were awakened at 6:40 with the ringing of the telephone. Usually when the phone rings my Hubby turns to me and says " Are you expecting a call?" This time he just got up and answered the phone. His daughter was calling to tell him that her grandfather was vomiting blood. We immediately got up and dress and was at the house before the ambulance was there. I just stood back and stayed out of the way. But that did not last long because Hubby did not know what to do. His father started with the " I don't want to bother anybody?" crap that he says when he thinks he is about to die. I just asked some questions. When did you start vomiting blood? 4:30 How many times did you vomit? Once maybe twice Where were you when you vomited? In the bathroom it's in the garbage can you can look at it. I went back into the living room and waited by the door for the ambulance to arrive. I told Todd tell the ME exactly what he said about vomiting. ME arrived and went to work. H